GE Oil & Gas
Air Shut-Off Safety Devices for Diesel Engines
- Company Details
- Products & Services
- White Papers
- Press Releases
- Regional Offices
- Contact Company
GE designs and manufactures the Rigsaver® air shut-off safety device for use on both large and small diesel engines. When mounted in the air intake system, the Rigsaver will prohibit airflow from entering the cylinders and positively immobilize the engine, safeguarding personnel, equipment, and the environment. Rigsavers can be manually or automatically controlled, responding to a variety of fault or hazard conditions.
It's not always regulatory but it is your responsibility to protect the environment, your equipment and, most importantly, your people.
Hazard prevention with air shut-off safety devices
Airborne hydrocarbons are dangerous. In the open, they can easily ignite and spread to available fuel sources to produce an uncontrolled inferno. But they can also pose a threat to diesel engines of any size. When mixed with the air supply, these vapors or fumes may be drawn into the air intake system, act as an ungoverned fuel source and cause the engine to accelerate out of control.
Conventional shutdown methods (i.e. shutting off the engine's fuel supply) are often ineffective in preventing diesel engine overspeeding since the ungoverned fuel source is still available through the air intake system. Completely shutting off the air supply, using a device such as the Rigsaver, is the only sure way to prevent engine runaway and the possible dire outcomes: equipment damage, fire, or life-threatening explosion.
Air shut-off valves for air intake systems
Rigsaver is a swing-gate, spring-operated air shut-off valve mounted in the air intake system. It will impede the airflow into the cylinders and positively stop the engine. It can be installed pre- or post-turbo. Rigsaver can be manually or automatically controlled to respond to a variety of fault or hazard conditions.
Worldwide experience with diesel engine shut-off valves
The Rigsaver air shut-off valve has been used worldwide, providing reliable service on and offshore under adverse conditions associated with locations in the Canadian Arctic, the Gulf of Mexico, the North Sea, the deserts of Africa, the Middle East and the Pacific Rim. Our product's quality meets or exceeds the stringent requirements of our broad customer base, which includes leading engine OEMs.
Features of the Rigsaver air shut-off safety device
Features of the Rigsaver air shut-off safety device include:
- Manual or automatic controls
- Can be used onshore and offshore
- Can respond to a variety of fault or hazard conditions
- Available with 2in (50mm) to 14in (355mm) of unrestricted port
- Operates safely at ambient and induction air temperatures between +350°F to +400°F (+176°C to +205°C)
- Meets ISO 9001:2008 requirements
Diesel emergency shut-down valve
The Rigsaver acts as an emergency shut-down valve for diesel engines. It is ideal for a wide range of applications, including:
- Power generation
- Bulk fuel loading facilities
- Mining equipment
- On/off - highway vehicles
- Offshore platforms
- Marine engine rooms
- Petrochemical plants
- Stationary equipment
Technical data of the Rigsaver air shut-off safety device
- Temperature rating: maximum constant +400°F (+205°C); high temperature up to +482°F (+250°C) available upon request
- Maximum pneumatic tripping pressure: 100 psi
- Maximum solenoid energize time: 5 seconds
- Vibration tested to simulate in-service conditions to ensure maximum durability and reliability
- Manufactured with high-grade materials to protect against corrosion for extreme conditions such as oil and gas offshore
- Available in bore sizes from 2in to 14in
- Manufactured in Canada
The Rigsaver is ISO 9001:2008 certified and is approved for use in hazardous zoned environments under ATEX Category II, Ex II 3G c T3 (200°C, industrial applications). (Note: This does not apply to electrical components.)