View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Analysis
April 6, 2022

Exclusive: How big is the gender pay gap in the power industry in Britain and who are the worst offenders?

We analysed tens of thousands of official records to find out which companies are at the bottom of the ranks.

By Data Journalism Team

Some 90% of companies in the power industry pay their male employees more than their female staff, a Power Technology analysis reveals.

The figures, which are based on reporting from all companies in the UK with a headcount of 250 employees or more, show that six of the 60 companies that have reported their pay figures had a higher women’s median hourly pay than men.

Across the sector, men’s median hourly pay was 16% higher than that of women. This puts power industry above the national average of 11.6%.

A high gender pay gap does not necessarily imply that women are paid less for the same jobs, which would be illegal under the 1970 Equal Pay Act. Instead, it may suggest that men tend to dominate the top-paying jobs within companies.

Women working in power occupied 21% of the top-paying jobs in the industry, with the rest of the top spots (79%) occupied by men. On the other end of the pay scale, women occupied 40.5% of the lowest-paid jobs in power industry.

On average, women also received 18.1% less in bonuses compared to their male co-workers.

Among companies in the power industry, Wood Transmission and Distribution had the biggest difference in median hourly pay, with women earning 43% less than men. That means that for each £1 earned by men in the company, women earned £0.57. It was followed by SmartestEnergy with a pay gap of 42.5% and Engie with 41.9%.

At the other end, LondonEnergy paid women 9.1% more than men for each hour worked, followed by Wales & West Utilities, which paid women 7% more and EDF Energy, which paid women 6.8% more.

The gender pay gap in power industry has decreased in the 2021-22 reporting year compared to the year before.

Methodology

This analysis is based on data from GOV.UK’s Gender pay gap service. We identified companies in the power industry based on the SIC codes they reported.

The data provides several summary indicators, including the difference in mean and median pay for the two genders. Mean pay indicates the average pay across each group, while the median is the value that sits in the middle of a list of salaries arranged from lowest to highest, with half of salaries being lower than the median and the other half being higher. The median is used to prevent extreme values at either end of the pay scale (a CEO’s salary, for example) from skewing the average. Both indicators have advantages and disadvantages, but we used the median figures in our analysis.

To create an indicator for the power industry, we averaged the median pay gaps in the industry and weighted them by the company size. That way, a company with 20,000 or more employees would influence the average more than a company that employs 250 people.

While the figures are a good indication of the state of the industry, they should not necessarily be taken at face value. As the first graphic in the article suggests, many companies report a gender pay gap of zero, which is statistically improbable. A minority of companies also reported a gender pay gap of 100%, which might indicate they have no female employees at all.

Because companies are only compelled to disclose summary statistics, the figures cannot be verified.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU