Energy Exemplar is the developer of class-leading power market simulation software called PLEXOS for Power Systems® (‘PLEXOS’).
PLEXOS® is a successful fundamental power market simulation product that is used for power market modelling, simulation and analysis. Below is a categorisation of some of the functions that PLEXOS® is used for:
- Price forecasting
- Power market simulation and analysis
- Detailed operational planning and optimisation
- Trading decision support
- Strategic modelling and decision support
- Generation and transmission capacity expansion planning (investment analysis)
- Renewable integration analysis
- Co-optimisation of ancillary services and energy dispatch
- Transmission analysis and congestion management
- Portfolio optimisation and valuation
- Risk management and stochastic optimisation
All of these functions can be performed for any planning horizon: short term (minutes, hours, days, months) to long term (10-40 years).
The comprehensive set of features of PLEXOS® has enabled its use in many areas of the energy sector. Globally, the types of users of PLEXOS® include:
- Power generation companies
- Transmission system operators
- Electricity market operators
- Energy commission and regulators
- Energy trading companies/investment banks
- Price forecasting agencies
- Power plant manufacturers
- Power plant construction companies
- Academics and research institutions
There are two types of PLEXOS® products:
- PLEXOS® Desktop Edition – this is the main product with graphical interface and all the simulation and analysis functions and features
- PLEXOS Connect® Client-Server Edition – this is the data management program that is an extension to the PLEXOS Desktop Edition and used for centralised storage, distributed computing, multi-user access rights, data sharing, version control
Energy Exemplar can provide a free demonstration at your office or via the web, and a free 30-day trial. In addition, PLEXOS® expert staff can arrange references from our clients in Asia-Pacific, Europe, the US and other regions worldwide.
The Energy Exemplar team has a wealth of experience in electric power market modelling and can offer training courses tailored to your needs and to the power markets you are most interested in.
Both the PLEXOS® Desktop Edition and PLEXOS Connect® Client-Server Edition are normally annual licences. PLEXOS® Desktop Edition uses a third-party optimisation solver. You can choose from one of the top four commercial solvers (CPLEX, Xpress-MP, Gurobi and Mosek), all of which are inbuilt and installed as part of PLEXOS®. We enable the solver chosen and licensed by the customer.
In addition, the annual licence fees include:
- Maintenance of the software and upgrade to latest release at no extra cost
- Unlimited technical support via email and phone at no extra cost
Options for daily, monthly and quarterly licences are available for consultancies or projects.
Energy Exemplar has dedicated teams providing technical, consulting and implementation support to a global customer base that demands the best quality products and service.
By the beginning of 2012 worldwide installations of PLEXOS® exceeded 630 at over 135 sites worldwide.
Energy Exemplar continues to ‘push the envelope’ in being the first-to-market with the latest advances in mathematical programming and power market simulation theory to ensure that PLEXOS® remains the most comprehensive, easy-to-use simulation software.