Arcas Sells Amayo Stake to AEI

13 May 2010 (Last Updated May 13th, 2010 18:30)

US-based Arctas has sold its joint controlling interest in the 63MW Amayo I and Amayo II wind projects in Nicaragua to AEI. With the purchase, AEI with its partner Centrans have increased joint holdings in the largest wind plant in operation in Central America to 95% with local partners

US-based Arctas has sold its joint controlling interest in the 63MW Amayo I and Amayo II wind projects in Nicaragua to AEI.

With the purchase, AEI with its partner Centrans have increased joint holdings in the largest wind plant in operation in Central America to 95% with local partners owning the remaining 5% of each Amayo project.

The two-phase Amayo project represents an investment of about $150m, among the largest privately developed energy investments in Central America.

The Amayo project is the only one to be completed outside of Costa Rica to supply about 8% of the total power consumed in Nicaragua.