RWE and TURCAS have commenced construction of a new 775MW natural gas combined cycle power plant in Denizli, Turkey.

The €500m ($724.7m) power plant will be connected to the national grid and will initially operate at 55% efficiency.

The plant will generate energy sufficient to serve 3.5 million customers and will amount to 2% of the total electricity production in the country.

The plant is designed in multiple shafts constructed on two lines incorporating a gas turbine, generators and a waste heat boiler.

Turcas Petrol chairman of the board Erdal Aksoy said the company is pleased with its joint investment in Denizli and plans to continue to invest in the future of Turkey and energy markets.

Turcas holds 30% of RWE & TURCAS Güney Elektrik Üretim, where RWE holds the remaining 70%.