Suncor Energy has signed a joint venture agreement with Teck Resources for the Wintering Hills Wind Power Project in Alberta, Canada.

Under the agreement, Suncor will own a 70% interest and operate the project, while Teck will own the remaining 30%.

The planned 88MW wind farm will have 55 General Electric 1.6MW turbines and serve about 35,000 households displacing the equivalent of about 200,000t of CO2 per year.

The project received regulatory approval from the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) in June 2010.

Work on the project began in July 2010 and is expected to be complete by the end of 2011.