View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
April 9, 2015

Brazil to launch $6.5bn fund to boost renewable power generation

The government of Brazil will launch an investment fund of up to $6.5bn to increase renewable energy generation in the country's north-eastern region.

By Srivari Aishwarya

wind power

The government of Brazil will launch an investment fund of up to $6.5bn to increase renewable energy generation in the country’s north-eastern region.

This move comes in response to increasing interest from large industries to invest in wind power to meet their energy needs.

The proposed fund will comprise private investors and state-owned utility Cia Hidro Eletrica do Sao Francisco, known as Chesf, Bloomberg reported, citing Brazil Energy Minister Eduardo Braga.

Private investors will own 51% of the fund, while Chesf will own the remaining 49% stake.

"Private investors will own 51% of the investment fund, while Chesf will own the remaining 49% stake."

Brazil’s National Social and Economic Development Bank will manage the fund, which will finance up to 8GW of new wind and solar capacity in the region, according to Recharge.

Commenting on the finance, Braga was quoted by Bloomberg as saying: "We are on the eve of a major announcement.

"With the fund, subsidies will no longer be a burden for Brazil’s Treasury and become a catalyst for north-east region development."

Chesf, which currently receives government subsidies for power purchases, will no longer receive such financial aid.

Braga will seek approval from President Dilma Rousseff for the fund, for which the final studies are nearing completion. He said that the new capacity created to supply the industrial users will allow Chesf to supply its existing generation for Brazil’s hard-pressed power network.


Image: Brazil to launch new fund in response to increasing interest from large industries to invest in wind power. Photo: courtesy of xedos4 / freedigitalphotos.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology