View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
November 26, 2021

Endesa to invest $3.4bn to increase renewable energy capacity

Like its parent company Enel, Endesa plans to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2040.

By Umesh Ellichipuram

Spanish electric utility company Endesa has updated its Energy Transition strategy for 2022-24, under which it plans to invest €3.1bn ($3.4bn) to increase its renewable energy capacity to 12.3GW.

Free Report
img

Wind Power Market seeing increased risk and disruption

The wind power market has grown at a CAGR of 14% between 2010 and 2021 to reach 830 GW by end of 2021. This has largely been possible due to favourable government policies that have provided incentives to the sector. This has led to an increase in the share of wind in the capacity mix, going from a miniscule 4% in 2010 to 10% in 2021. This is further set to rise to 15% by 2030. However, the recent commodity price increase has hit the sector hard, increasing risks for wind turbine manufacturers and project developers, and the Russia-Ukraine crisis has caused further price increase and supply chain disruption. In light of this, GlobalData has identified which countries are expected to add the majority of wind power capacity out to 2030. Get ahead and download this whitepaper for more details on the current state of the Wind Power Market.
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

The move will make 92% of the company’s mainland production carbon-free by the end of 2024.

Endesa aims to add 4GW of renewable energy capacity during this period. Of this, 90% will be solar energy, with wind energy accounting for the remaining 10%.

This is expected to increase the company’s renewable energy capacity by an average of 1.3GW a year.

In addition, Endesa has announced an investment allocation for digitalising its distribution network to improve its quality of service and reduce losses.

The company will also invest to establish an electric vehicle charging infrastructure across Spain through the Endesa X brand.

It estimates earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) of €4.7bn in 2024, an increase from €4bn at the end of this year.

Endesa CEO José Bogas said: “With this update of our strategic plan, accompanied by a renewed outlook for 2030 and a new key milestone such as complete decarbonisation by 2040, Endesa aims to maintain its leadership in the Iberian market based on top-level assets and successful management as a vertically integrated company.”

In step with its parent company Enel, Endesa plans to reach net-zero emissions by 2040, ten years earlier than previously planned.

The company intends to exit its gas-fired generation and gas retail business by 2040 and focus on generating power from renewable sources.

It also plans to end its coal generation by 2027.

Bogas added: “Bringing forward from 2050 to 2040 our aim to become a totally emission-free company is based on a solid portfolio of renewable projects totalling 80GW.

“Reaching this key milestone will go together with a firm commitment to the electrification of consumption, earning the loyalty of our customers by generating value for both them and the company.”

Related Companies

Free Report
img

Wind Power Market seeing increased risk and disruption

The wind power market has grown at a CAGR of 14% between 2010 and 2021 to reach 830 GW by end of 2021. This has largely been possible due to favourable government policies that have provided incentives to the sector. This has led to an increase in the share of wind in the capacity mix, going from a miniscule 4% in 2010 to 10% in 2021. This is further set to rise to 15% by 2030. However, the recent commodity price increase has hit the sector hard, increasing risks for wind turbine manufacturers and project developers, and the Russia-Ukraine crisis has caused further price increase and supply chain disruption. In light of this, GlobalData has identified which countries are expected to add the majority of wind power capacity out to 2030. Get ahead and download this whitepaper for more details on the current state of the Wind Power Market.
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology