View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
July 27, 2020

EWEC awards contract for 2GW solar power plant project in UAE

The Emirates Water and Electricity Company has awarded a contract to a development consortium for a 2GW solar power plant located in the UAE.

The Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) has awarded a contract to a development consortium for a 2GW solar power plant located in the UAE.

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

The consortium comprises of TAQA, Masdar, EDF and JinkoPower. They construct the Al Dhafra Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Independent Power Producer project to be located nearly 35km from Abu Dhabi city.

EWEC CEO Othman Al Ali said: “We are working to secure long-term energy supply and reinforce solar power’s integral role in meeting current and future energy needs.

“Combined with key technological advances, the Al Dhafra Solar PV project will have a significant impact on diversifying the approach to our current electricity supply, and drive our strategic plan to further contribute towards the sector’s transformation in water and electricity production, as we develop a low-carbon grid in the UAE.”

The consortium companies have signed a power purchase agreement with EWEC for the power plant.

An EWEC statement said the contract was awarded following a competitive bid process that resulted in one of the most cost-competitive tariffs for solar PV energy. This was set at AED4.97 fils/kWh ($1.35/kWh) on a levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) basis.

TAQA and Masdar will together own a 60% stake in the Al Dhafra solar project, while the remaining 40% will be held by EDF and JinkoPower.

By this year’s third quarter, project managers expect to achieve its financial closure, with power generation expected in the first half of 2022. The companies expect it to reach full generation by the end of the year.

Once fully operational, it is expected to generate enough energy to power approximately 160,000 households across the UAE. This output would be larger than TAQA’s existing 1.2GW ‘Noor Abu Dhabi’ solar plant.

This project brings Abu Dhabi’s total solar power capacity to nearly 3.2GW.

Related Companies

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology