View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Comment
May 23, 2022

Clarifications underway for Qatar solar bids

The planned Ras Laffan and Mesaieed schemes will each have a capacity of 400MW.

By MEED   

Qatar Energy is understood to be undertaking clarification discussions with bidders for the contract to design and build two solar photovoltaic (PV) power projects in the country.

The solar power plants are to be located in Ras Laffan and Mesaieed, with each having a capacity of 400MW, according to industry sources.

Bids for the two contracts were submitted in March.

MEED understands companies that submitted proposals for the contracts include:

  • JGC (Japan)
  • Samsung C&T (South Korea)
  • Saipem (Italy)
  • Sterling & Wilson (India)
  • TSK (Spain)

Qatar Petroleum (QP) plans to develop an 800MW solar scheme in the near future as part of its plans to have a 4GW renewable energy portfolio by 2030, as MEED reported last February.

The plan is part of the firm’s Sustainable Strategy 2030, announced in January 2021.

State utility Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (Kahramaa ) awarded the QR1.7bn ($467m) contract to develop the country’s first utility-scale solar PV project to a team comprising Japan’s Marubeni and France’s Total in January 2020.

The 800MW solar PV independent power producer (IPP) scheme is being built on a 10 square-kilometre land plot in Al-Kharsaah, west of Doha. 

Siraj-1 Company, the project company that is developing the project, reached financial close on the project in July of the same year.

Qatar’s Siraj Energy owns 60% of Siraj-1 Company, while Marubeni and Total own the remaining 40%.

Power China Guizhou Engineering is the engineering, procurement and construction contractor for the 800MW Al-Kharsaah solar PV IPP.

It awarded Switzerland-based Hitachi ABB Power Grids the contract to provide a 220 kilovolt (kV) grid connection solution for the Al-Kharsaah solar scheme.


This article is published by MEED, the world’s leading source of business intelligence about the Middle East. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology