ESBI Power Plant Operations and Maintenance Services
ESBI provides power plant operations and maintenance (O&M) solutions for thermal and renewable power plants around the world. We provide a full range of services across the life of the power asset, from plant mobilisation and commissioning to lifecycle management and eventual decommissioning. Our O&M teams are supported by a large in-house team of engineers and technical specialists, all with specific power sector expertise.
Optimising power plant performance
Over two decades, we have developed a proven approach to operating and maintaining power stations, based on our experience of managing over 15,000MW of plant. The plants in our O&M portfolio consistently achieve world-class performance, with an outage rate averaging less than 2% across all plants over the past five years.
Tailored plant optimisation services
We have experience working across a wide range of technologies and energy sources, including combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT), open cycle gas turbine (OCGT), coal, oil, biomass, peat, hydro and wind.
We offer tailored solutions, geared for optimal performance over the lifetime of the plant. Depending on customer needs this can include initial project support, mobilisation, full O&M services, technology transfer solutions or O&M consultancy.
Power plant mobilisation
During plant mobilisation, ESBI ensures that the systems and processes needed to run the plant effectively are in place, and that the O&M team has the skills and competencies to take full responsibility for the plant from commercial operation date.
- Reviewing plant requirements and plant familiarisation
- Establishing the O&M organisation structure
- Staff training and development
- Developing and installing management systems and procedures
- Participating in plant commissioning activities
- Negotiating of long-term service agreement (LTSA)
- Developing the O&M plan and budget
Power plant operations and maintenance
Full O&M services begin on the commercial operation date when EBSI takes full responsibility for operating and maintaining the plant in line with the owner’s business objectives.
- Day-to-day operations and maintenance
- Plant performance monitoring, diagnostics and efficiency enhancement
- Management and evaluation of maintenance contracts, including the LTSA
- Managing interfaces with market operations and trading
- Technology evaluation and spares management
- Health, safety and environmental management
- Planned and unplanned maintenance (including overhauls)
- Plant performance and efficiency enhancements
- Asset management planning
- Site management
- Management of fuel contracts
- Management of O&M budget and costs
Technology transfer solutions for power plants
Our technology transfer solutions aim to equip local O&M teams with the knowledge and skills to operate and maintain the plant unassisted. This involves documenting procedures, providing training programmes and transferring knowledge from our staff to local staff over an agreed period of time.
- Competency assessments
- Skills transfer programmes
- Documentation of processes and procedures
- Handover and follow-on support
O&M consultancy services
ESBI offers a range of O&M consultancy services, including operational audits and organisational and performance reviews. Benefits of ESBI’s power plant O&M solutions include:
- Optimise plant performance: our plants consistently deliver high availability and low forced outage rages. We adopt a shared risk model, which reinforces our commitment to optimising plant performance for our clients
- Manage risks: our in-house engineering capability ensures that issues are dealt with rapidly and effectively by people with specific power plant expertise
- Meet commercial objectives: as part of a vertically integrated utility, ESBI understands our clients’ commercial objectives and how to support them through effective power plant O&M
- Protect your interests: as ESBI is not tied to any one supplier or OEM, we offer expert, independent advice on technology choices and spares management, based on our experience of a wide range of technologies
- Meet safety, health and environmental standards: ESBI is committed to ensuring a safe and healthy environment for all people associated with our company’s operations. The ESBI Integrated Business Management System (IBMS) is certified to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001
- Learn from our experience: ESBI facilitates shared learning between the power plants in our portfolio to improve the performance of all plants
ESBI is fully owned by ESB Group, the Irish State-owned vertically integrated electricity utility. ESB owns a portfolio of power plants totalling over 6,000MW in Ireland, the UK and Spain, and is the transmission system owner in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. ESB, through its supply business ESB Electric Ireland, supplies electricity to 60% of the Irish residential market.
Global track record in power plant O&M
ESBI has an international track record spanning over 35 years in 115 countries, including countries in the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and America. During this time, we have worked across many diverse cultures and technologies, and have built strong relationships with our clients by working in partnership to solve their technical and business challenges.
Products and Services
ESB International has had its new office in Turkey officially opened as part of a week of visits from Irish companies to the country for boosting trade links.Read more
ESB International’s commercial manager has this week presented a paper at the largest power and energy event in Africa.Read more
ESB International, Roughan O’Donovan and Knight Architects Shortlisted in UK Pylon Design Competition
A design submitted to the RIBA / DECC / National Grid Pylon Design Competition by engineering consultancy firms ESB International and Roughan O'Donovan and architecture practice Knight Architects is one of six shortlisted out of a total of 250 entries to the competition, the UK Secretary of StateRead more
Earlier this month the Tánaiste (Irish Deputy Prime Minister) and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Eamon Gilmore T.D., visited a rural electrification scheme in Tanzania which is being project managed by ESB International (ESBI). ESBI is working on behalf of the US-funded Millennium CRead more
The current economic climate has prompted Irish companies to explore new, more cost-effective ways of reaching target markets, including through the use of social media. That's according to ESB International (ESBI), which has just launched a new corporate blog, www.energyinnovation.ie.Read more
ESB International has applied to the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (DEHLG) for foreshore exploration licences in the first step towards developing a 5MW wave energy project off the west coast of Ireland. This will enable the company to conduct marine surveys and resourcRead more
Global energy company, ESB International (ESBI), has been appointed by the Namibian state-owned electricity utility, NamPower, to provide technical advisory services for the 800 milliwatt Kudu combined-cycle power plant being developed at Oranjemund on the Namibian and South Africa border.Read more
ESB International (ESBI) has been selected as part of a consortium to support the establishment of a clean energy network between the EU and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. The network aims to promote greater technological and policy cooperation between the EU and the Gulf countriesRead more
ESB International (ESBI) has won the large-sized company category award at the Engineers Ireland continuous professional development (CPD) Company of the Year Awards 2010. The CPD Company of the Year Awards 2010 were presented by Tánaiste and the Minister for Education and Skills, MaryRead more
ESB International (ESBI) has entered an agreement with the pioneering tidal energy company Marine Current Turbines (MCT) to develop an initial phase of a 100MW tidal energy project off the Antrim coast in Northern Ireland. ESBI and MCT will work together to submit a proposal to the fortRead more
Donnchadh Irish of ESBI will present a paper on the Moneypoint Environmental Retrofit Project (MERP), at the fifth annual Experts Conference in Berlin on 27 September 2010. Entitled 'Exploring the Retrofit of SCR and FGD Technology at Moneypoint Coal-Fired Station to Meet the ElectriciRead more
ESB International (ESBI) has secured an engineering contract to provide technical consultancy services to the Electricity and Water Authority (EWA) of Bahrain. The contract involves major work on Bahrain's electricity transmission network and is valued at more than €1 million.Read more
18-21 St. Stephen's Green
P.O. Box 105810
Dar es Salaam
338 Euston Road
Room 217, Pentagon Business Centre
Unit 6, East Gate Avenue
East Gate Business Park
44-164 Gliwice - Brzezinka
ul. Kielecka 26
P.O. Box 5922
Alameda Recalde, 46, 1º dcha
C/ Uría, 50, 4º, puerta 2
33001 Oviedo- Asturias