North America’s power industry saw a drop of 5.45% in deal activity during May 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by TotalEnergies’ $1.6bn acquisition of 50% stake in Clearway Energy Group, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 52 power industry deals worth $2.3bn were announced for the region in May 2022, against the 12-month average of 55 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in May 2022 with 28 transactions, representing a 53.9% share for the region.
In second place was M&A with 20 deals, followed by private equity deals with four transactions, respectively capturing a 38.5% and 7.7% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in North America’s power industry with $1.62bn, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $604.53m and $46.1m, respectively.
North America power industry deals in May 2022: Top deals
The top five power deals accounted for 89.2% of the overall value during May 2022.
The combined value of the top five power deals stood at $2.03bn, against the overall value of $2.3bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of May 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) TotalEnergies $1.6bn acquisition deal for 50% stake in Clearway Energy Group
2) The $200m venture financing of Arcadia Power by Broadscale Group,Camber Creek,Drawdown Fund,J.P. Morgan Asset Management,Keyframe Capital Partners,MCJ Collective,Salesforce Ventures,Tiger Global Management,Triangle Peak Partners and Wellington ManagementLLP
3) Bill Gates,Impresa Management,Khosla Ventures,Lightrock,Lineage Ventures and Princeville Capital $150m venture financing deal with Mainspring Energy
4) The $46.1m private equity deal with Cartier Energy by Pantheon Infrastructure and Vauban Infrastructure Partners
5) Amazon Climate Pledge Fund,Ecosystem Integrity Fund,Future Shape and I Squared Capital $31m venture financing deal with Ambient Photonics
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.