Total power industry deals for Q3 2020 worth $29.4bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 68.4% over the previous quarter and a drop of 2% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $30.17bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 12.6% over the last four-quarter average with 396 deals against the average of 453 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $15.89bn.
Power industry deals in Q3 2020: Top deals
The top five power deals accounted for 43.3% of the overall value during Q3 2020.
The combined value of the top five power deals stood at $12.73bn, against the overall value of $29.4bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of Q3 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) NRG Energy’s $3.63bn acquisition of Direct Energy
2) The $3.2bn acquisition of Vivint Solar by Sunrun
3) Amazon.com, Baron Capital Group, BlackRock, Coatue Management, Fidelity Management & Research, Soros Fund Management and T Rowe Price Associates’ $2.5bn private equity deal with Rivian Automotive
4) The $2.31bn acquisition of Viesgo Infraestructuras Energeticas by EDP Renovaveis and Energias de Portugal
5) BP’s asset transaction with Equinor for $1.1bn.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.