Total power industry M&A deals worth $11.39bn were announced in the UK in Q1 2021, led by National Grid’ $10.85bn acquisition of Western Power Distribution, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 218.2% over the previous quarter and a rise of 472.4% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $1.99bn.
The UK held a 30.23% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $37.68bn in Q1 2021.
In terms of deal activity, the UK recorded 45 M&A deals during Q1 2021, marking an increase of 60.71% over the previous quarter and a rise of 87.50% over the last four-quarter average.
UK power industry M&A deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 98.9% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five power M&A deals stood at $11.26bn, against the overall value of $11.39bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five power industry M&A deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) National Grid’s $10.85bn acquisition of Western Power Distribution
2) The $133.03m asset transaction with by Downing Renewables & Infrastructure Trust
3) Bluefield Solar Income Fund’s $120.88m asset transaction with
4) The $89.52m asset transaction with Lightsource BP Renewable Energy Investments by NextEnergy Solar Fund
5) Greencoat UK Wind’s asset transaction with Banks Renewables for $72.41m.
Visit our ‘Power Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the power industry.