Total power industry M&A deals worth $12.25bn were announced in North America in Q1 2021, led by PPL’s $3.8bn acquisition of The Narragansett Electric, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 34.5% over the previous quarter and a drop of 4.7% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $12.86bn.
North America held a 32.51% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $37.68bn in Q1 2021. With a 24.92% share and deals worth $9.39bn, the US was the top country in North America’s M&A deal value across power industry.
In terms of deal activity, North America recorded 126 deals during Q1 2021, marking a decrease of 2.33% over the previous quarter and a rise of 29.23% over the last four-quarter average. The US recorded 109 deals during the quarter.
North America power industry M&A deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 68.01% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five M&A deals stood at $8.33bn, against the overall value of $12.25bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five power industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) PPL’s $3.8bn acquisition of The Narragansett Electric
2) The $2.19bn asset transaction with Brookfield Infrastructure Partners by IFM Investors and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
3) $822m merger of Microvast Power Systems and Tuscan
4) The $760m asset transaction with NRG Energy by ArcLight Capital Partners
5) ArcLight Capital Partners’ asset transaction with NRG Energy for $760m.