Total power industry M&A deals worth $9.39bn were announced in the US in Q1 2021, led by PPL’ $3.8bn acquisition of The Narragansett Electric, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 49.2% over the previous quarter and a drop of 21.2% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $11.91bn.
The US held a 24.92% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $37.68bn in Q1 2021.
In terms of deal activity, the US recorded 109 M&A deals during Q1 2021, marking a decrease of 4.39% over the previous quarter and a rise of 26.38% over the last four-quarter average.
US power industry M&A deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 72.3% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five power M&A deals stood at $6.79bn, against the overall value of $9.39bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five power industry M&A deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) PPL’s $3.8bn acquisition of The Narragansett Electric
2) The $822m merger of Microvast Power Systems and Tuscan by
3) ArcLight Capital Partners’ $760m asset transaction with NRG Energy
4) The $760m asset transaction with NRG Energy by ArcLight Capital Partners
5) merger of ArcLight Clean Transition and Proterra for $648m.