Total power industry M&A deals worth $9.39bn were announced in the US in Q1 2021, led by PPL’ $3.8bn acquisition of The Narragansett Electric, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 49.2% over the previous quarter and a drop of 21.2% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $11.91bn.
The US held a 24.92% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $37.68bn in Q1 2021.
In terms of deal activity, the US recorded 109 M&A deals during Q1 2021, marking a decrease of 4.39% over the previous quarter and a rise of 26.38% over the last four-quarter average.
US power industry M&A deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 72.3% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five power M&A deals stood at $6.79bn, against the overall value of $9.39bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five power industry M&A deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) PPL’s $3.8bn acquisition of The Narragansett Electric
2) The $822m merger of Microvast Power Systems and Tuscan by
3) ArcLight Capital Partners’ $760m asset transaction with NRG Energy
4) The $760m asset transaction with NRG Energy by ArcLight Capital Partners
5) merger of ArcLight Clean Transition and Proterra for $648m.
Visit our ‘Power Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the power industry.