Total power industry private equity deals in Q4 2020 worth $9.01bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 46.9% over the previous quarter and a rise of 43.3% when compared with the last four-quarter average, which stood at $6.29bn.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, Europe held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $3.66bn. At the country level, the UK topped the list in terms of deal value at $2.12bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for power industry private equity deals globally, followed by Europe and then Asia-Pacific.
The top country in terms of private equity deals activity in Q4 2020 was the US with 21 deals, followed by the UK with five and France with four.
In 2020, as of the end of Q4 2020, power private equity deals worth $24.19bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 8.3% year on year.
Power industry private equity deals in Q4 2020: Top deals
The top five power industry private equity deals accounted for 60.6% of the overall value during Q4 2020.
The combined value of the top five power private equity deals stood at $5.46bn, against the overall value of $9.01bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five power industry deals of Q4 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) BlackRock Global Energy & Power Infrastructure Funds, Coyote Bidco, Mubadala Investment and West Street Infrastructure Partners III’s $1.9bn private equity deal with Calisen
2) The $1.25bn private equity deal with Equis Development by Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, Equis and Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board
3) Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec’s $1bn private equity deal with Invenergy Renewables
4) The $665.33m private equity deal with State Power Investment Group Beijing Power by Agricultural Bank of China, Bank of China Assets, Beijing, Chengtong ICBC Fund, China Life Asset Management and State Power Investment
5) Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners’ private equity deal with BayWa r e Renewable Energy for $641.95m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.