Total power industry venture financing deals in Q2 2020 worth $493.21m were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 45.2% over the previous quarter and a drop of 22.6% when compared with the last four-quarter average, which stood at $642.18m.
Comparing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $326.01m. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $325.74m.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for power industry venture financing deals globally, followed by Europe and then Asia-Pacific.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in Q2 2020 was the US with 32 deals, followed by the UK with six and Spain with five.
In 2020, as of the end of Q2 2020, power venture financing deals worth $878m were announced globally, marking a decrease of 80.5% year on year.
Power industry venture financing deals in Q2 2020: Top deals
The top five power industry venture financing deals accounted for 56.6% of the overall value during Q2 2020.
The combined value of the top five power venture financing deals stood at $279m, against the overall value of $493.21m recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of Q2 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) BOC Investment and FAW Industry Fund’s $100m venture financing of Huineng Technology
2) The $84m venture financing of Commonwealth Fusion Systems by Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Devonshire Investors, Eni Next, Future Ventures, HostPlus, Khosla Ventures, Moore Strategic Ventures, Safar Partners, Schooner Capital, Starlight Ventures, Equinor, Temasek Holdings (Private) and The Engine
3) BlackRock, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Duke Energy and Material Impact’s $50m venture financing of Zero Mass Water
4) The $25m venture financing of FreeWire Technologies by ABB Technology Ventures, BP Ventures Inc, Energy Innovation Capital and Silicon Valley Bank
5) Ajax Strategies, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Building Ventures and OurCrowd’s venture financing of Enverid Systems for $20m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.
Visit our ‘Power Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the power industry.