The $590m venture financing of Sila Nanotechnologies was the power industry’s top venture financing deal as total deals worth $1.08bn were announced globally in January 2021, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 291.8% over the previous month of $275.64m and a rise of 382.1% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $224.02m.
Comparing venture financing deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $828.75m. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $824.6m.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for power industry venture financing deals globally, followed by Asia-Pacific and then Europe.
The top country in terms of venture financing deals activity in January 2021 was the US with 20 deals, followed by the China with two and Canada with two.
In 2021, as of January, power venture financing deals worth $1.08bn were announced globally, marking a decrease of 1012.05% year on year.
power industry venture financing deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five power industry venture financing deals accounted for 73.6% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five power venture financing deals stood at $794.58m, against the overall value of $1.08bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry venture financing deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) 8VC , Bessemer Venture Partners, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Coatue Management, Sutter Hill Ventures and T Rowe Price Associates’ $590m venture financing of Sila Nanotechnologies
2) The $96.58m venture financing of HysetCo by Eiffel Investment Group, Mirova, Raise Ventures and RGreen Invest
3) Alumni Ventures Group, BP Ventures, Energy Innovation Capital, Riverstone Holdings and TRIREC Pte.’ $50m venture financing of FreeWire Technologies
4) The $38m venture financing of DAYSTAR Power Energy Solution by Investment Fund for Developing Countries, Morgan Stanley Investment Management, Proparco and STOA Infra and Energy
5) Amazon Alexa Fund and Munich Re Ventures’ venture financing of Span.IO for $20m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.