The US power industry saw a drop of 30.6% in overall deal activity during April 2020, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 34 deals worth $797.11m were announced in April 2020, compared to the 12-month average of 49 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 21 deals which accounted for 61.8% of all deals.
In second place was venture financing with 13 deals, followed by with transactions, respectively accounting for 38.2% and % of overall deal activity in the country’s power industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US power industry with total deals worth $697.6m, followed by venture financing deals totalled $99.51m.
US power industry deals in April 2020: Top deals
The top five power industry deals accounted for 93.9% of the overall value during April 2020.
The combined value of the top five power deals stood at $748.75m, against the overall value of $797.11m recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of April 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Southwest Generation Operating Company’s $680m asset transaction with Xcel Energy
2) The $25m venture financing of FreeWire Technologies by ABB Technology Ventures, BP Ventures, Energy Innovation Capital and Silicon Valley Bank
3) Ajax Strategies, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Building Ventures and OurCrowd’s $20m venture financing of Enverid Systems
4) The $13.75m asset transaction with UPPER POTTSGROVE, TOWNSHIP OF by Pennsylvania American Water
5) Tenaska and Wave Equity Partners’ venture financing of WindESCo for $10m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.