The US power industry saw a drop of 7.1% in overall deal activity during August 2020, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 39 deals worth $683.36m were announced in August 2020, compared to the 12-month average of 42 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 22 deals which accounted for 56.4% of all deals.
In second place was venture financing with 14 deals, followed by private equity with three transactions, respectively accounting for 35.9% and 7.7% of overall deal activity in the country’s power industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US power industry with total deals worth $265m, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $216.5m and $201.86m, respectively.
US power industry deals in August 2020: Top deals
The top five power industry deals accounted for 85.4% of the overall value during August 2020.
The combined value of the top five power deals stood at $583.36m, against the overall value of $683.36m recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of August 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Apollo Global Management’s $265m private equity deal with US Wind
2) The $129.86m asset transaction with BNRG Renewables by Acadia Renewable Energy
3) American Electric PowerInc, Braemar Energy Ventures, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Chevron Technology Ventures, ClearVision Equity Partners, GIC, Linse Capital and Quantum Energy Partners’ $127m venture financing of ChargePoint
4) The $32.5m acquisition of Building Energy Holdings US by Eni New Energy US and Falck Renewables
5) ArcTern Ventures, BoxGroup, Evergy Ventures, Falkon Ventures, Greycroft Ventures, Lerer Hippeau Ventures and Shell Ventures’ venture financing of Palmetto Solar for $29m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.
Visit our ‘Power Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the power industry.