The US power industry saw a flat growth in overall deal activity during July 2019, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 48 deals worth $4.46bn were announced in July 2019, compared to the 12-month average of 48 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 30 deals which accounted for 62.5% of all deals.
In second place was venture financing with 12 deals, followed by private equity with six transactions, respectively accounting for 25% and 12.5% of overall deal activity in the country’s power industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US power industry with total deals worth $3.97bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $418m and $68.81m, respectively.
US power industry deals in July 2019: Top deals
The top five power industry deals accounted for 98.8% of the overall value during July 2019.
The combined value of the top five power deals stood at $4.4bn, against the overall value of $4.46bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of July 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Public Serviceof Oklahoma and Southwestern Electric Power’s $2bn asset transaction with Invenergy
2) The $1.25bn asset transaction with Veolia Energy North America Holdings by Antin Infrastructure Partners
3) TerraForm Power’s $720m asset transaction with AltaGas
4) The $400m private equity deal with NGL Energy Partners by EIG Global Energy Partners and FS Energy and Power Fund
5) BNP Paribas, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Cox Investment Holdings, Formica Ventures, The March Fund I and Twynam Agricultural Group’s venture financing of Sierra Energy for $33m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.
Visit our ‘Power Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the power industry.