Total power industry M&A deals in Q3 2020 worth $11.35bn were announced in the US, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 544.7% over the previous quarter and a rise of 89.6% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $5.99bn.
The US held a 48.7% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $23.33bn in Q3 2020.
In terms of deal activity, the US recorded 78 deals during Q3 2020, marking a rise of 36.8% over the previous quarter and a flat growth over the last four-quarter average.
The US power industry M&A deals in Q3 2020: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 83.4% of the overall value during Q3 2020.
The combined value of the top five power M&A deals stood at $9.46bn, against the overall value of $11.35bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of Q3 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) NRG Energy’s $3.63bn acquisition of Direct Energy
2) The $3.2bn acquisition of Vivint Solar by Sunrun
3) BP’s $1.1bn asset transaction with Equinor
4) The $800m acquisition of Competitive Power Ventures by OPC Energy
5) Alpha Asset Management Mutual Funds ManagementS.A., Hana Financial Investment, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, Korea Investment & Securities and Sprott Korea’s asset transaction with Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners and Invenergy for $735m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.