Total power industry M&A deals in September 2020 worth $3.38bn were announced in the US, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 1572.5% over the previous month and a rise of 49.8% when compared with the last 12-month average of $2.25bn.
The US held a 46.7% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $7.23bn in September 2020.
In terms of deal activity, the US recorded 31 deals during September 2020, marking an increase of 47.6% over the previous month and a rise of 29.2% over the 12-month average.
The US power industry M&A deals in September 2020: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 99.2% of the overall value during September 2020.
The combined value of the top five power M&A deals stood at $3.35bn, against the overall value of $3.38bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry deals of September 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) BP’s $1.1bn asset transaction with Equinor
2) The $800m acquisition of Competitive Power Ventures by OPC Energy
3) Alpha Asset Management Mutual Funds ManagementS.A., Hana Financial Investment, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, Korea Investment & Securities and Sprott Korea’s $735m asset transaction with Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners and Invenergy
4) The $660m acquisition of GridLiance by NextEra Energy
5) Aqua Pennsylvania’s asset transaction with Lower Makefield Township for $53m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.