The Andasol 3 CSP Solar Power Plant – Thermal Energy Storage System is a 49,900kW energy storage project located in Aldeire, Granada, Spain.

The thermal energy storage project uses molten salt as its storage technology. The project was commissioned in 2011.


The Andasol 3 CSP Solar Power Plant – Thermal Energy Storage System was developed by Ferrostaal. The project is owned by Ferrostaal (25%), a subsidiary of MPC Industries, RheinEnergie (25%), RWE (25%) and Solar Millennium (25%).

The key applications of the project are renewable capacity firming and renewable energy time shift.

Contractors involved

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Ferrostaal, RheinEnergie, RWE and Solar Millennium have delivered the project.

About Ferrostaal

Ferrostaal GmbH (Ferrostaal) is specialized in providing industrial solutions in the plant construction and industrial equipment sectors. It is a general contractor in the plant construction sector. The company offers project development, management and project financing for constructing plants in the areas of oil and gas, petrochemicals, solar power plants, biofuel plants and other industrial plants. It offers turnkey services coupled with value added features of engineering, procurement and construction (EPC). International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) a Abu Dhabi company has 70% stake in the company. The remaining 30% of the stake is owned by MAN AG (Munich). The company is headquartered at Essen in Germany.

Ferrostaal is also an independent distributor and service partner for the manufacturers of Automotive, Printing, Packaging, Piping and Ship sectors.


All publicly-announced energy storage projects included in this analysis are drawn from GlobalData’s Power IC. The information regarding the projects are sourced through secondary information sources such as country specific power players, company news and reports, statistical organisations, regulatory body, government planning reports and their publications and is further validated through primary from various stakeholders such as power utility companies, consultants, energy associations of respective countries, government bodies and professionals from leading players in the power sector.