The Borrego Springs Solar Microgrid Project is a smart grid project located in San Diego County, California, US. The installation of the project began in 2012 and the project was commissioned in 2014.
The Borrego Springs Solar Microgrid Project was completed using smart grid as the technology category. It is a distributed generation, microgrid, renewable integration project with a rated capacity of 26MW. It is implemented in the town/community.
The smart grid project is owned by San Diego Gas & and Electric and developed by San Diego Gas & and Electric.
The Borrego Springs Solar Microgrid Project has the following equipment associated with it:
- – 1 MW/3 MWh Battery Storage System
- – 1.8 MW Diesel Generators – 2 units
- – 25 kW/50 kWh Li-ion Community Energy Storage Units – 3 units
- – 500 kW/1500 kWh Li-ion Substation Energy Storage Unit – 1 unit
- – Distributed Energy Resource Management System
Borrego Springs Solar Microgrid Project development status
The development of Borrego Springs Solar Microgrid Project was started in 2012 and the commissioning was completed in 2014.
San Diego Gas & and Electric have partnered with San Diego Gas & and Electric to construct and complete the Borrego Springs Solar Microgrid Project.
– The Borrego Springs Microgrid project initially included the installation and integration of two 1.8 megawatts (MW) diesel generators, one 500 kilowatts (kW)/1500 kilowatt-hour (kWh) lithium-ion substation energy storage unit and three 25 kW/50 kWh lithium-ion community energy storage units, a fault location, isolation and service restoration system, an automated demand response system with pricing-based event capabilities, advanced communication and protection schemes, and a microgrid controller to support, control, and monitor the microgrid. – The project has since been expanded to include 26 MW of local solar generation and an additional 1 MW/3 MWh of battery storage. – The microgrid successfully demonstrated its ability to island the entire community of Borrego Springs utilizing renewable energy resources as the major source of generation.
About San Diego Gas & Electric
San Diego Gas & Electric Company (SDGE), a subsidiary of Sempra Energy, is an energy service provider that offers electric generation, transmission and distribution services. The company also distributes natural gas. Its residential services include payment and bill assistance, start, stop, move service, service checkup, check my gas appliances, request letter of credit history, request change of mailing address, request letter of residency, and special update. The company also offers a variety of workshops and training seminars to business customers in San Diego and southern Orange counties. SDGE is headquartered in San Diego, California, the US.b
All publicly-announced smart grid projects included in this analysis are drawn from GlobalData’s Power IC. The information regarding the projects is sourced through secondary information sources such as country specific power players, company news and reports, statistical organisations, regulatory body, government planning reports and their publications and is further validated through primary from various stakeholders such as power utility companies, consultants, energy associations of respective countries, government bodies and professionals from leading players in the power sector.