Thermal technology contracts activity in January 2021 saw 28 contracts announced, marking a drop of 20% over the last 12-month average of 35, according to GlobalData’s power industry contracts database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
Gas was the top category in thermal technology in terms of number of contracts for the month, accounting for 19 contracts and a 65.5% share, followed by Coal with seven contracts and a 24.1% share. Oil stood in third place with three contracts and a 10.3% share.
Looking at global power contracts activity divided by the type of technology, thermal held the third position in terms of number of contracts during January 2021 with a 9.5% share.
The proportion of contracts by category in the Thermal technology tracked by GlobalData in the month was as follows:
- Project Implementation: 11 contracts and a 39.3% share
- Supply & Erection: 11 contracts and a 39.3% share
- Power Purchase Agreement: four contracts and a 14.3% share
- Consulting & Similar Services: two contracts and a 7.1% share.
Asia-Pacific leads thermal contracts activity in January 2021
Comparing contracts activity in thermal technology in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position with 15 contracts and a share of 53.6% during January 2021, followed by North America with six contracts and a 21.4% share and Europe with three contracts and a 10.7% share.
In fourth place was Middle East and Africa with three contracts and a 10.7% share and in fifth place was South and Central America with one contract and a 3.6% share.
Thermal technology contracts in January 2021: Top issuers by capacity
The top issuers of contracts in Thermal technology for the month in terms of power capacity involved were:
- Gansu Province Electric Power Investment Group (China): 2,000MW from one contract
- Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Uzbekistan (Uzbekistan): 470MW from one contract
- Electric Power Generation Enterprise (Myanmar): 388MW capacity from one contract.
Thermal technology contracts in January 2021: Top winners by capacity
The top winners of contracts for the month in terms of power capacity involved were:
- China Energy Engineering Group Planning and Engineering (China): 3,470MW from three contracts
- China Gezhouba Group (China): 1,555MW from two contracts
- Guangdong Electric Power Design Institute (China), Southwest Electric Power Design Institute (China) and China Energy Engineering (China): 1,320MW capacity from one contract.
All publicly-announced contracts are included in this analysis drawn from GlobalData’s Power database, which covers power plants, T&D projects, equipment markets, analysis reports, capacity and generation, and tracks tenders and contracts on a real-time basis.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported contracts are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s Power database.