Thermal technology contracts activity in Q2 2021 saw 73 contracts announced, marking a drop of 39% over the last four-quarter average of 120, according to GlobalData’s power industry contracts database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
Gas was the top category in thermal technology in terms of number of contracts for the quarter, accounting for 52 contracts and a 67.5% share, followed by Coal with 16 contracts and a 20.8% share. Oil stood in third place with nine contracts and an 11.7% share.
Looking at global power contracts activity divided by the type of technology, thermal held the third position in terms of number of contracts during Q2 2021 with an 8.1% share.
The proportion of contracts by category in the Thermal technology tracked by GlobalData in the quarter was as follows:
- Supply & Erection: 26 contracts and a 35.6% share
- Repair, Maintenance, Upgrade & Others: 21 contracts and a 28.8% share
- Project Implementation: 15 contracts and a 20.5% share
- Consulting & Similar Services: seven contracts and a 9.6% share
- Electricity Supply: three contracts and a 4.1% share
- Power Purchase Agreement: one contract and a 1.4% share.
Asia-Pacific leads thermal contracts activity in Q2 2021
Comparing contracts activity in thermal technology in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position with 31 contracts and a share of 42.5% during Q2 2021, followed by North America with 17 contracts and a 23.3% share and Middle East and Africa with 13 contracts and a 17.8% share.
In fourth place was Europe with nine contracts and a 12.3% share and in fifth place was South and Central America with three contracts and a 4.1% share.
Thermal technology contracts in Q2 2021: Top issuers by capacity
The top issuers of contracts in Thermal technology for the quarter in terms of power capacity involved were:
- Yuneng Group: 1,320MW from one contract
- Lausitz Energie Bergbau (Germany): 300MW from one contract
- Baosteel (China): 270MW capacity from one contract.
Thermal technology contracts in Q2 2021: Top winners by capacity
The top winners of contracts for the quarter in terms of power capacity involved were:
- China Energy Engineering Group Planning and Engineering (China): 2,570MW from four contracts
- Shanghai Electric Power Construction (China): 2,000MW from one contract
- Southwest Electric Power Design Institute (China) and SEPCOIII Electric Power Construction (China): 1,320MW capacity from one contract.
All publicly-announced contracts are included in this analysis drawn from GlobalData’s Power database, which covers power plants, T&D projects, equipment markets, analysis reports, capacity and generation, and tracks tenders and contracts on a real-time basis.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported contracts are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s Power database.