View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
April 25, 2019

ABB secures order from Chubu Electric Power in Japan

ABB has secured an order from Chubu Electric Power (Chubu Electric) to supply two blocks of frequency converter systems for the Higashi Shimizu project in Japan.

ABB has obtained an order from Chubu Electric Power (Chubu Electric) to supply two blocks of frequency converter systems for the Higashi-Shimizu project in Japan.

Free Report
img

Battery energy storage will be the key to energy transition – find out how

The market for battery energy storage is estimated to grow to $10.84bn in 2026. The fall in battery technology prices and the increasing need for grid stability are just two reasons GlobalData have predicted for this growth, with the integration of renewable power holding significant sway over the power market. Over the last decade, various new digital and smart technologies have been integrated, with countries aggressively promoting the modernization of grids, enhancing the grids’ capability to meet present and future requirements. As part of the effort, batteries are being deployed for a wide range of uses. A few such uses include aiding smart grids, integrating renewables, and creating responsive electricity markets. Read this report for expert insights into:
  • Market size and growth
  • Key drivers and restraints
  • Regional trends
  • The impact of the commodity price increase on the battery prices
Get ahead of this growing market and win big by utilizing our report.
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

The project will strengthen the connection between the 50Hz network in Eastern Japan and the 60Hz network in Western Japan.

ABB secured the contract through Hitachi ABB HVDC Technologies, a joint venture company of Hitachi and ABB that was established in 2015 for high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission in Japan.

Hitachi owns a 51% share in the JV company while ABB owns the remaining 49% stake.

ABB Power Grids president Claudio Facchin said: “The Higashi-Shimizu HVDC project is very important for our 2015 established HVDC joint venture in Japan.

“Our global pioneering HVDC technology, combined with Hitachi project capability, will significantly strengthen the Japanese power grid”

“Our global pioneering HVDC technology, combined with Hitachi project capability, will significantly strengthen the Japanese power grid, thus bringing tangible benefits to Japanese consumers and the society at large.”

Hitachi will be responsible for constructing a system with the combination of an ABB HVDC converter along with a control and protection system and Hitachi converter transformers.

ABB will supply its system engineering, VSC technology called HVDC Light, as well as the digital solution with ABB Ability MACH control and protection system.

With 300MW capacity each, the two new back-to-back blocks will be constructed on an existing site with an existing HVDC back-to-back.

Once completed, the new link is expected to reinforce and help in electricity transfer and increase power reliability.

 

Related Companies

Free Report
img

Battery energy storage will be the key to energy transition – find out how

The market for battery energy storage is estimated to grow to $10.84bn in 2026. The fall in battery technology prices and the increasing need for grid stability are just two reasons GlobalData have predicted for this growth, with the integration of renewable power holding significant sway over the power market. Over the last decade, various new digital and smart technologies have been integrated, with countries aggressively promoting the modernization of grids, enhancing the grids’ capability to meet present and future requirements. As part of the effort, batteries are being deployed for a wide range of uses. A few such uses include aiding smart grids, integrating renewables, and creating responsive electricity markets. Read this report for expert insights into:
  • Market size and growth
  • Key drivers and restraints
  • Regional trends
  • The impact of the commodity price increase on the battery prices
Get ahead of this growing market and win big by utilizing our report.
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology