Spanish renewable energy firm Acciona Energía has begun construction works on the MacIntyre complex, a 1,026MW wind farm facility located in Queensland, Australia.

The A$2bn ($1.4bn) wind complex comprises two wind farms, MacIntyre and Karara.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

MacIntyre is a 923MW wind farm in which ACCIONA Energía owns a 70% stake, with the remaining 30% stake owned by Ark Energy.

Once completed, MacIntyre will be Acciona Energía’s largest wind farm in the world and will increase the company’s renewable production capacity in Australia.

The Karara wind facility is owned by Queensland’s public utility company, CleanCo.

ACCIONA Energía will operate the MacIntyre wind farm, while CleanCo will manage the Karara wind farm.

Both wind farms will be equipped with 180 Nordex Delta 4000 turbines and their construction works are expected to be completed by 2024.

The complex will generate enough clean energy to power 700,000 homes while displacing nearly three million tonnes of carbon emissions a year.

The wind project will also support Queensland’s decarbonisation goals. 

In addition to the MacIntyre complex, ACCIONA Energía said that it is also developing a large solar photovoltaic (PV) plant in Aldoga, Queensland.

The company has signed an agreement with state-owned power company Stanwell to deliver renewable electricity from the solar facility to power its green hydrogen production plant.

Earlier this year, ACCIONA Energía acquired a 350MWac/458MWdc solar PV project in the US from Avondale Solar and Solar Plus Development.

The Red-Tailed Hawk project is located near Houston, Texas, and is expected to come online in 2024.

It is being developed by AP Solar Holdings, an affiliate of Avondale Solar, in collaboration with Solar Plus Development.

Red-Tailed Hawk will be built with an estimated investment of €407m ($460m) and will be Acciona Energía’s largest PV installation worldwide once completed.