Oil and gas giants BP and TotalEnergies have won a total of 7GW in offshore wind auctions worth €12.6bn announced by the German federal network agency, Bundesnetzagentur.

The two companies have secured two marine concessions each, with UK-based BP winning 4GW and France’s TotalEnergies winning 3GW.

Three wind farms with 6GW of capacity will be located in the North Sea and one 1GW project will be located in the Baltic Sea.

TotalEnergies and BP now have the correct planning approval procedure in place to build and operate the wind farms and grid connections.

BP has won the N-11.1 and N-12.2 marine concessions. Both are located in the North Sea, between 130km and 150km from the coast, with a total capacity of 4GW.

The company will develop, build and operate the two projects, aiming to reach grid connection by the end of 2030.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

It will pay €678m ($755.1m), equivalent to 10% of the total bid amount, by July 2024. The remaining 90% will be paid over a 20-year period, when the wind farms begin operations.

TotalEnergies has secured the N-12.1 and O-2.2 marine concessions. The N-12.1 concession with 2GW capacity is located 170km off the coast in the North Sea and the 1GW O-2.2 concession is located 40km off the coast in the Baltic Sea.

The two wind farms will generate enough clean electricity to supply three million German households.

TotalEnergies will pay €582m to the German Federal Government for the conservation of the marine environment and the promotion of environmentally friendly fishing.

The company will pay an annual contribution to the electricity transmission system operators to connect the wind projects to their respective grids for 20 years.

Bundesnetzagentur president Klaus Müller stated: “The results confirm the attractiveness of investing in offshore wind energy in Germany. Competition in offshore wind power has never been so high. The results are a key step towards achieving the offshore expansion target of 30GW by 2030.”