Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
July 23, 2020

Chan May LNG to build power project in Vietnam with $6bn investment

US-Vietnamese joint venture Chan May LNG has reportedly planned to invest nearly $6bn in a power project in Vietnam.

US-Vietnamese joint venture (JV) Chan May LNG has reportedly planned to invest nearly $6bn in a power project in Vietnam.

Chan May LNG CEO John Rockhold said his company will build the LNG project in Thua Thien Hue province. Plans include a 4GW power plant, LNG terminal and storage facilities.

Construction works at the site will begin from next year, with the initial phase of 2.4GW capacity coming online in 2024. The power plant will use General Electric turbines.

The entire facility is slated to become operational in 2027.

According to Reuters, Chan May LNG plans to cash in on the increasing demand for electricity in the country.

Financial institutions, including the US International Development Finance, US Exim Bank and the International Finance Corp have expressed interest in financing the project.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How Hengst helped to keep Germany’s charity “star singers” shining
How one power station prevented frequent shutdowns with three-stage air filtration

Rockhold added: “We have big support from the US government for the project, as they have LNG to sell. We have a number of US LNG suppliers and we are doing the shopping right now.”

Once fully operational, LNG worth nearly $1.2bn would be imported from the US annually for the project.

An investment licence for the project is expected to be received this year.

The news agency reported that the country is at risk of power shortages from next year, as electricity demand begins to outpace the construction of power plants.

US investors hold a 60% stake in the JV company, while the remaining 40% is held by Vietnamese investors.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU