View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
June 4, 2019

Globeleq achieves financial close on Malindi Solar PV project in Kenya

African independent power producer (IPP) Globeleq has reached financial close on a solar photovoltaic (PV) project in Malindi, Kenya.

African independent power producer (IPP) Globeleq has reached financial close on a solar photovoltaic (PV) project in Malindi, Kenya.

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

The project has received $52m in debt financing from UK’s development finance institution CDC, including $20m from the German development finance institution DEG.

Located in Langobaya in the Malindi District, which is about 120km north-east of Mombasa, the $69m project is one of the first IPP owned utility-scale solar power plants in Kenya.

Globeleq CEO Paul Hanrahan said: “The attractive investment climate combined with strong local community support sets the stage for this important project as well as future investments in Kenya. We are extremely pleased to be making this investment into the Kenyan energy sector.’’

The company noted that it has also initiated construction works for its 40MW (52MW peak) solar PV plant, which has a 20-year power purchase agreement in place with the national distribution company Kenya Power.

Globeleq is working with its partners’ IDEA Power and Africa Energy Development Corporation (AEDC). Globeleq holds 90% ownership interest in the project and the remaining 10% will be held by AEDC who is the project originator.

“We are extremely pleased to be making this investment into the Kenyan energy sector.”

The partners have provided equity, project development and construction management experience for a solar PV project.

AEDC director Zohrab Mawani said: “AEDC is excited to have reached this significant milestone with the Malindi project. Working with our partners, we are very pleased to contribute to sustainable economic development in Kenya and look forward to continued growth in Sub Saharan Africa.”

Sterling and Wilson Solar is the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor for the project. The company has started civil and electrical construction works for the project, which is expected to enter commercial operations in mid-2020.

Related Companies

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology