Tech giant Microsoft has signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) with Potentia and Greengate for Paintearth Wind project in Canada.

Under the 15-year PPA, Microsoft will purchase approximately 543GWh of renewable energy annually from the wind project, which is in Alberta’s Paintearth County.

Microsoft Canada president Chris Barry said: “Renewable energy supply contracts like this agreement with Potentia and Greengate are key to meeting our goal of contracting 100% of our energy consumption with renewable sources by 2025.

“This agreement with Paintearth Wind is an important step in helping Microsoft deliver on our renewable energy commitments in Canada.”

Potentia Renewables, a subsidiary of Power Sustainable, holds a 75% stake in the wind project, while the remaining 25% stake is held by Greengate Power, a privately held renewable energy company based in Calgary, Alberta.

Construction works at the site have commenced in September this year and the project is expected to come online in 2023.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Potentia Growth senior vice-president Ben Greenhouse said: “Potentia is honoured to work with Microsoft and appreciates the work that both companies put into this agreement.

“We look forward to growing our relationship with Microsoft and the community around the Paintearth Wind as we continue to grow employment and investment in Alberta’s renewable energy sector.”

In June this year, Microsoft signed a long-term renewable energy agreement with Amplus Solar to purchase power from a 100MW solar project being developed in the Indian state of Rajasthan.