Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
July 13, 2016

EDF acquires majority stake in AWM to expand wind energy sector in China

French subsidiary EDF Energies Nouvelles has acquired a majority stake in Chinese project developer UPC Asia Wind Management (AWM).

By Lopamudra Roy

French subsidiary EDF Energies Nouvelles has acquired a majority stake in Chinese project developer UPC Asia Wind Management (AWM).

With completion of the acquisition, EDF Energies Nouvelles will own 80% of shares in Hong Kong-based UPC AWM, while the remaining 20% will be held by US-based Global Environment Fund (GEF).

EDF Group's chairman and chief executive officer Jean-Bernard Lévy said: “In the framework of EDF’s strategy CAP 2030, our goal is to accelerate our low-carbon generation with a diversified energy mix where nuclear and renewable energy balance each other.

“Our development in high-potential markets, such as China is a full part of this dynamic process.

“We have been present in this country for more than 30 years and it is providing significant growth opportunities to the Group and we are delighted to boost our presence in renewable energy sources.”

"EDF Energies Nouvelles will own 80% of shares in Hong Kong-based UPC AWM, while the remaining 20% will be held by Global Environment Fund."

The current partnership has supported EDF Group to increase its wind energy portfolio by more than 1.3GW from projects under development, in construction, or in operation in China.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How Hengst helped to keep Germany’s charity “star singers” shining
How one power station prevented frequent shutdowns with three-stage air filtration

With the completion of the deal, the company will operate more than 10GW in installed wind capacity worldwide.

EDF Group has been operating in China for more than 30 years, providing nuclear, thermal, and hydro power, as well as offering energy services to the country.

The Chinese government aims to install 200GW of wind energy capacity by 2020, which represents an average increase of 15GW every year.


Image: EDF Group owns more than 1.3GW of installed wind energy capacity in China. Photo: courtesy of EDF Energies Nouvelles.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU