EDF to construct ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plant in China

22 April 2014 (Last Updated April 22nd, 2014 18:30)

France-based Electricite de France S.A. (EDF) has agreed to form a joint venture (JV) with the China Datang Corporation to build and operate an ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plant in China.

France-based Electricite de France S.A. (EDF) has agreed to form a joint venture (JV) with the China Datang Corporation to build and operate an ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plant in China.

The JV company will be named Datang International Fuzhou Power Generation Company (FPC).

FPC will be 49%-owned by EDF while China Datang will own the remaining 51%.

The Fuzhou coal-fired power plant will be located on the Fuzhou site in the Jiangxi province in south-eastern China.

"EDF is delighted to be able to work alongside Datang, a major player in China's electricity sector."

Construction of the power plant has commenced and the project comprises two units with an output of 1,000MW each.

The power plant is expected to be commissioned in 2016 and will be operated by EDF.

EDF chairman and CEO Henri Proglio said: "EDF is delighted to be able to work alongside Datang, a major player in China's electricity sector, in constructing the latest generation of thermal power plant, equipped with innovative technology and high environmental performance standards."

Employing ultra-supercritical technology at the Fuzhou coal-fired power plant guarantees high efficiency levels and significantly lower environmental impact.

The technology is crucial for China which produces 75% of its electricity through coal-fired power stations to meet its energy requirements and limit the environmental impact by reducing emissions.

Nri