GDF SUEZ opens 180MW biomass power station in Belgium

27 September 2011 (Last Updated September 27th, 2011 18:30)

GDF SUEZ and its subsidiary Electrabel have opened the new Rodenhuize biomass power station in Belgium.

GDF SUEZ and its subsidiary Electrabel have opened the new Rodenhuize biomass power station in Belgium.

The company invested €125m for the conversion of the coal-fired unit at the power station into a 100% biomass unit.

The new plant can meet the power needs of 320,000 households and will also reduce 1.2 million tons of CO2 emissions annually.

Canada-based Pacific BioEnergy will provide 225,000t of biomass a year for the facility, under a long-term contract signed with Electrabel.

The plant is jointly owned by Electrabel with a 73% stake and Ackermans & van Haaren with the remaining 27% interest.