Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
June 17, 2015

Nigeria selects sites for 4,800MW nuclear power plants

The Nigerian Government has selected Geregu in Kogi State and Itu in Akwa Ibom State to build two nuclear power plants, which will each have a capacity of 2400MW.

The Nigerian Government has selected Geregu in Kogi State and Itu in Akwa Ibom State to build two nuclear power plants, which will each have a capacity of 2400MW.

The sites have been finalised after the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC) selected the sites for the plants, which will involve an investment of $20bn.

NAEC Chairman Erepamo Osaisai was cited by Daily Trust as saying: "Detailed evaluation and characterisation to be conducted on preferred sites on the approval of the government in Geregu, Ajaokuta Local Government Area of kogi State and Itu in Itu LGA of Akwa Ibom State."

NAEC revealed in April that it has been discussing with Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy corporation Rosatom for construction of the nuclear facilities in the country.

"NAEC expects to conclude preliminary licensing for the approved sites from Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA) within 2016."

Rosatom, which will co-finance the Nigerian project, will build, own, operate the projects and then transfer them to the Nigerian Government after development.

NAEC expects to conclude preliminary licensing for the approved sites from Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA) within 2016.

Content from our partners
How Hengst helped to keep Germany’s charity “star singers” shining
How one power station prevented frequent shutdowns with three-stage air filtration
Reimagining the carbon problem

Nigeria has already initiated training and capacity building for the development and operations of the facilities.

The African country is presently dependent on gas for 80% of its power requirements and on hydro for the remaining 20%, but intends to diversify its power generation capabilities.

Nigeria aims to add nuclear power to its energy mix in order to meet its 2020 target for generating 20,000MW.

Nigeria Ministry of Power Permanent Secretary Godknows Igali said: "With NAEC’s plan to inject 1,200MW from first nuclear power plant in 2025 and increase to 4,800MW in 2035, the energy mix is expected to have increased to about 20% power generation from clean sources."

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU