RWE inaugurates €110m Königshovener Höhe wind farm in Germany

24 February 2016 (Last Updated February 24th, 2016 18:30)

German energy giant RWE has inaugurated the Königshovener Höhe wind farm in the country, which was built at a cost of approximately €110m.

RWE

German energy giant RWE has inaugurated the Königshovener Höhe wind farm in the country, which was built at a cost of approximately €110m.

The 67MW wind farm has been developed as a joint venture project between the city of Bedburg and RWE.

RWE holds a 51% stake in the project and the remaining 49% is owned by Bedburg city.

RWE CEO Peter Terium said: "We are taking the energy transition forward with projects like Königshovener Höhe.

"At a capacity of some 1GW, we are ranked among the top five in the sector of offshore wind in Europe today and belong to the largest European operators of onshore wind farms.

"The Königshovener Höhe wind farm is special because of its location on a reclaimed site right next to the opencast mine.

"Like hardly any other project, this wind farm stands for the partnership of conventional and renewable generation and for the structural change in the Rhenish lignite mining area."

Located on a reclaimed site right next to the Garzweiler opencast mine, the wind power facility features 21 turbines manufactured by Senvion. The 200m-long turbines have an installed capacity of 3.2MW each.

The Senvion 3.2M114 turbines are claimed to provide optimum yield for sites with medium wind speeds.

"This wind farm stands for the partnership of conventional and renewable generation and for the structural change in the Rhenish lignite mining area."

The machines have been running in normal operation since the end of last year.

The clean electricity generated at the wind farm will be enough to power nearly 58,000 residential households.

RWE Innogy board of directors chairman Hans Bünting said: "The production figures of the new wind farm also speak for themselves.

"In fact, we are well on target for 2015 with nearly 140,000MW hours of green power produced."


Image: Königshovener Höhe wind farm features 21 turbines manufactured by Senvion. Photo: courtesy of RWE Innogy GmbH.