Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
October 29, 2018updated 12 Nov 2021 9:34am

Statkraft acquires eight Brazilian hydropower plants

Norwegian state-owned company Statkraft has agreed to buy eight operational Brazilian hydropower plants from electric utility EDP Brasil.

Norwegian state-owned company Statkraft has agreed to buy eight operational Brazilian hydropower plants from electric utility EDP Brasil.

Financial details of the acquisition have not been divulged by either company. The acquisition of the portfolio is expected to further expand Statkraft’s operations in Brazil.

Located in the Brazilian state of Espírito Santo, the hydropower plants’ portfolio has a total installed capacity of 131.9MW.

Statkraft executive vice-president Jürgen Tzschoppe said: “This acquisition is a good fit with our strategy to build scale profitably in the markets where we are already present. It also positions Statkraft well for further development in Brazil, a key growth market for Statkraft.”

In Brazil, Statkraft owns an 81% stake of Statkraft Energias Renováveis (SKER), while the Brazilian pension fund FUNCEF owns the remaining 19% stake.

Under the agreement, SKER will acquire 100% of EDP Brasil’s shares in EDP PCH and Santa Fe Energia.

Content from our partners
How Hengst helped to keep Germany’s charity “star singers” shining
How one power station prevented frequent shutdowns with three-stage air filtration
Reimagining the carbon problem

EDP Brasil said in a company statement: “The total amount of the transaction is R$704m ($193.2m), including an estimated net R$113m ($31m).

“In Brazil, the ambition is to grow by acquiring and improving assets in operation and by developing new generation capacity in hydropower, wind and solar power.”

“Accordingly, the expected value of the reserve is R$591m ($162.2m), which is subject to adjustments between the present date and the conclusion of the operation, as is usual to this type of transaction.”

Of the cluster of eight plants, EDP PCH owns seven operational hydropower plants and the remaining one is held by Santa Fe Energia.

In addition to the new portfolio, Statkraft also owns a minority ownership in four other hydropower plants.

With the latest acquisition of eight Brazilian hydropower plants, Statkraft’s fleet in the country has increased to around 450MW.

Statkraft is one of the largest renewable energy producers in Europe and, according to the company, it aims to increase its footprint in the hydropower, solar and wind power markets across Europe, India, and South America.

Statkraft said in a press release: “In Brazil, the ambition is to grow by acquiring and improving assets in operation and by developing new generation capacity in hydropower, wind and solar power.”

Completion of the transaction is subject to regulatory approvals.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU