French energy conglomerate TotalEnergies has signed agreements with Samruk-Kazyna and KazMunayGas to develop a 1GW wind farm in Kazakhstan.

The company’s affiliate, Total Eren, will develop the Mirny project, which is claimed to be the largest wind energy project ever built in Kazakhstan.

The Mirny project will feature 200 wind turbines and be paired with a 600MWh battery storage system.

Once operational, the facility will have the capacity to meet the energy requirements of more than one million people in the country.

Its development is part of an intergovernmental agreement between France and Kazakhstan on the implementation of cooperation in the field of addressing the climate crisis.

TotalEnergies chairman and CEO Patrick Pouyanné said: “TotalEnergies is fully committed to providing its expertise and know-how to develop Kazakhstan’s natural resources, as we are doing as the partner of the giant Kashagan field.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

“These agreements demonstrate TotalEnergies’ energy transition strategy. On the one hand, we dynamically manage our portfolio by disposing of mature, non-core assets such as the Dunga field.

“On the other, we are very proud to support the country’s low carbon development ambition through the major Mirny wind project.”

TotalEnergies said the agreement has bolstered its presence in Kazakhstan’s renewable energy segment.

The company has also sold its Total E&P Dunga affiliate to Kazakhstan-based company Oriental Sunrise for $330m.

The deal is subject to approval from Kazakhstani authorities and the waiver of the partners’ preemption rights.

In October this year, TotalEnergies created a joint venture with Casa dos Ventos (CDV) to develop, build and operate a 12GW renewable portfolio in Brazil.

The portfolio includes 700MW of operational onshore wind capacity and 1GW of onshore wind capacity, which is currently being developed.

CDV will own a 66% stake in the JV while the remaining 34% will be held by TotalEnergies.