Voltalia begins construction of 150MW wind farm in Brazil

20 March 2020 (Last Updated March 20th, 2020 14:32)

French renewable energy company Voltalia has started the construction of a 150MW wind farm called VSM 3 in Serra Branca, Brazil.

French renewable energy company Voltalia has started the construction of a 150MW wind farm called VSM 3 in Serra Branca, Brazil.

The first turbines at the wind facility are expected to become operational by the fourth quarter of this year. It is expected to begin its full operations by the second quarter of 2021.

Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy is supplying the wind turbines and Dois A is providing civil work services, while Seta Engenharia and WEG SA will be responsible for the plant’s electrical balance.

Voltalia CEO Sébastien Clerc said: “The new VSM 3 wind farm will be built in a short time frame, thanks to the Serra Branca cluster transmission infrastructures, completed in September 2019, and strong synergies with ongoing construction of VSM 1&2.

“With a 2.4GW potential, our Serra Branca cluster of wind and solar farms is the world’s largest mixed cluster in the world.”

The company noted that the energy generated by the wind power facility will be supplied to a Brazilian utility under a 20-year power sale agreement.

Voltalia will hold 90% of the stake in the facility while the remaining 10% stake will be owned by a local partner.

Since 2009, Voltalia has been developing the Serra Branca site that covers approximately 40,000ha within a 50 by 15km area.

It noted that the site currently includes 379MW of operating plants and 917MW of plants under development with 329MW of capacity which are not yet under construction but for which long-term power sales contracts have been secured.