Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
March 2, 2021updated 08 Nov 2021 10:01am

WEC Energy Group to acquire majority interest in Jayhawk Wind Farm

US-based WEC Energy Group has agreed to acquire a 90% stake in the Jayhawk Wind Farm, Kansas, US, for $302m.

By Umesh Ellichipuram

US-based WEC Energy Group has agreed to acquire a 90% stake in the Jayhawk Wind Farm, Kansas, US, for $302m. Invenergy will operate the wind farm in Bourbon and Crawford counties after acquiring the remaining 10% interest.

Apex Clean Energy has started development of the wind farm, aiming to bring it online by the end of this year.

WEC Energy Group executive chairman Gale Klappa said: “Our commitment to the Jayhawk project is the next step forward in our comprehensive plan to build a bright, sustainable future, serve strong vibrant customers and continue to grow earnings from our portfolio of renewable energy assets.”

The Jayhawk site will use 70 GE wind turbines and have a combined generation capacity of more than 190MW. Facebook has signed a long-term contract to purchase all power generated.

WEC Energy’s investment forms part of the company’s $16bn efficiency, sustainability and growth plan.

Completion of the transaction is subject to necessary regulatory approvals.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How Hengst helped to keep Germany’s charity “star singers” shining
How one power station prevented frequent shutdowns with three-stage air filtration

In another development, Atlantica Sustainable Infrastructure reached an agreement to acquire Coso Geothermal Power Holdings, a 135MW geothermal power plant, from a consortium of investors.

The consortium includes Bardin Hill Investment Partners, Avenue Capital, Corre Partners Management and Voya Financial.

Subject to customary conditions and regulatory approvals, the $170m deal will be closed in the first half of this year.

Meanwhile, SDCL Energy Efficiency Income Trust has acquired a 50% interest in Onyx Renewable Partners. The company developed a portfolio of commercial and industrial solar and energy storage projects in the US, now owned by SDCL.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU