GNS has developed the CASTOR® geo26JP cask especially for the requirements of the Japanese market....
The GNS IQ® Integrated Quiver System is a versatile tool for the disposal of damaged fuel rods from both PWR- and BWR-NPPs. The Quivers can safely accommodate up to 65 fuel rods and, featuring the same dimensions as complete fuel elements, fit into the standard basket positions of the transport and storage casks for PWR-FA and for BWR-FA respectively.
The Quivers are designed like a ‘second cladding’ to accommodate large varieties of fuel rods with defects in terms of deformations and defect morphologies, and also leakers. Their robust design provides sufficient margins for safety requirements.
The Quiver consists of:
- A forged stainless steel base body
- An inner basket for the damaged fuel rods, customisable and available in different variants
- A forged lid, bolted and welded to the base body, to provide a leak-tight sealing
- A load attachment point at the top end of the Quiver
Handling and dispatch
The dispatch is performed on the reactor floor, which significantly increases process stability.
The dose rate during dispatch is reduced according to the ALARA principle and comparable to the dispatch of transport and storage casks with spent fuel. All necessary handling and dispatch tools have been manufactured. Several tools have already been tested and approved by German authorities.
Loading capacity includes:
- Various loading positions with different dimensions (up to 65 fuel rods per Quiver), depending on the individual requirements of the customer
- Uranium or MOX fuel from PWR-NPP and / or BWR-NPP with high enrichments and high burn-ups
- Modular system, customisable to the demands of the customer
GNS is commissioned by the German nuclear power plant operators to safely return all residues...
With its packaging system comprising CASTOR® casks and the GNS IQ® Integrated Quiver System, GNS...
The GNS group has received an order from PreussenElektra (PEL) for the dismantling of the...