Carroll & Meynell Transformers Transformer Design and Manufacture
Carroll & Meynell designs and manufactures transformers from 20VA panel transformers up to 20MVA power distribution transformers: single phase and three phase. Our customers include those in construction/engineering, transport/traction, mining, offshore/subsea and electrical wholesalers.
Cast resin transformers and oil-cooled transformers
We are the UK and Ireland distributor for ‘Tesar’ Cast Resin and oil-cooled distribution transformers, successfully servicing various markets for many years. For Cast Resin products we can offer standard or customised transformers.
Standard distribution transformers can be supplied up to a rated power of 3150kVA and insulation levels up to 36kV; typically these have aluminium windings.
Customised transformers can be copper or aluminium wound and are primarily presented to offer solutions to clients with specific needs concerning installation and application.
The following transformers are considered customised products:
- Transformers with rated power from 3.15MVA up to 20MVA
- Rectifier transformers
- Transformers for photovoltaic and wind power applications
- Transformers for ACDC conversion for industrial application and electric traction
- HV HV transformers
Tesar Cast Resin transformers are designed to withstand the worst climatic and environmental conditions.
We can also offer the following accessories: IP-rated enclosures, force ventilation fans, surge arrestors and anti-vibration pads.
Our products are designed in accordance with British (and European)standards for metering and protection applications (including Class PX). We also possess expertise in designing to American and Australian standards.
Our products feature torroidal core construction and precision layered windings with fully interleaved insulation to protect from high inter-turn voltages.
We can offer a variety of different finishes dependant on the final application and location:
- Self-amalgamating tape wrap for locating in air CT chambers of switchgear/transformers
- CTs for use in oil, midel, compounds are finished in reinforced nylon tape and sealed with two-part epoxy resin
- Polyurethane encapsulation for outdoor weatherproofing and robustness, slip-over and bar-primary moulds available
Each CT is provided with a comprehensive test certificate showing all errors/performance from measurements using up-to-date automatic test equipment.
Bespoke air-cooled transformers
We design bespoke air-cooled transformers according to individual application requirements.
Isolation transformers have concentrically wound coils with a safety earth screen between primary and secondary windings. Autotransformers are also available with common winding.
The bespoke air-cooled transformers can be single or three phase, up to 800kVA rating for dry type transformers and open style or enclosed for indoor/outdoor installation.
Options include: protection fuses/MCBs, plug/sockets, isolators, meters, special applications, korndorffer motor-start, k-factor (harmonic tolerance), open-delta and rectified output.
Other transformers, chokes and site safety products
- Ratings from 50VA to 1kVA; output voltage options 24V (12V-0-12V), 48V (24V-0-24V), 110V(55V-0-55V), 230V. All with 230V and 400V input, also ±15V adjustment taps
- Single phase 230V or three phase 400V input
- Output variable by control knob 0-112% of input
- Open style with frame mounting, or in vented metal enclosure. 0.7A to 28A current ratings stocked as standard, higher made to order
Site Safety 110V Supplies
- Portable tool transformers in various ratings
- Wall-mounted 110V transformers for workshops
- Site distribution supply transformers
- Portable isolation 230V/230V transformers
Inductors and Chokes
- Single or three phase AC inductors and DC chokes
Please let us know your particular transformer requirements in your enquiry and we will give you the best and most cost-effective solution.
Products and Services
East Anglia ONE Offshore Wind Farm
Galway Wind Park
Carroll & Meynell Transformers will be attending the ECA North East Regional Conference 2016, representing the best in electrical engineering and building services, held on the 23rd March in Wetherby, West Yorkshire, England.Read more
Soil Machine Dynamics (SMD), a well-established customer of Carroll & Meynell, has just received approval from DNV-GL for a portable control cabin from which submersible ROVs are piloted.Read more
UK-based Carroll & Meynell Transformers Ltd has successfully accessed an EU Horizon 2020 grant to support a feasibility study and develop a prototype of a multicharger for electric vehicles, which can charge different brands of vehicles simultaneously.Read more
Carroll & Meynell design engineer, Kapila Warnakulasuriya, has been invited to present the paper 'Performance Comparison of Nanocrystalline with Ferrite in a 40kW 20kHz application' at the PCIM conference in Sao Paolo, Brazil, on Tuesday 14 October.Read more
Durham Lane Industrial Park