DSEAR for the Power Industry
Leading UK training consultants to the power industry, Aztec technical Services Ltd, have announced a new series of courses in conjunction with four of the largest UK power providers.
The courses aim to train power industry staff and managers to be fully compliant with the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations (DSEAR) as outlined by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in 2002. The DSEAR are a set of guidelines governing industries in which employers will be regularly exposed to potentially flammable or explosive environments.
According to the HSE website, the DSEAR requires employees to:
- Find out what dangerous substances are in their workplace and what the fire and explosion risks are
- put control measures in place to either remove those risks or, where this is not possible, control them
- put controls in place to reduce the effects of any incidents involving dangerous substances
- prepare plans and procedures to deal with accidents, incidents and emergencies involving dangerous substances
- make sure employees are properly informed about and trained to control or deal with the risks from the dangerous substances
- identify and classify areas of the workplace where explosive atmospheres may occur and avoid ignition sources in those areas
To fully realise these aims, Aztec are introducing the following four courses which individually deal with different specific sectors of the power industry, and consolidate to provide a comprehensive training package for all aspects of the power segment:
- DSEAR for Managers and Supervisors
- DSEAR for Craftsmen (Electrical and Mechanical)
- DSEAR for Plant Operational Staff
- DSEAR for HR and Administration