Total power industry cross border deals worth $5.9bn were announced globally for April 2021, with the $1.63bn asset transaction with Orsted being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 63% over the previous month of $3.59bn and a rise of 0.2% when compared with the last 12-month average of $5.84bn.
In terms of number of cross border deals, the sector saw a drop of 18.97% with 47 deals in April 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 58 deals.
In value terms, Europe led the activity with cross border deals worth $4.46bn in April 2021.
Power industry cross border deals in April 2021: Top deals
The top five cross border deals accounted for 83% of the overall value during April 2021.
The combined value of the top five cross border deals stood at $4.86bn, against the overall value of $5.9bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry cross border deals of April 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM)’s $1.63bn asset transaction with Orsted
2) The $1.26bn asset transaction with Helia Renovables Fcr by Northland Power
3) Nextera Energy Partners’ $733m asset transaction with Brookfield Renewable Partners
4) The $683.62m acquisition deal of Brookfield Renewable Ireland by Orsted
5) I Cube Capital, Zibo Financial Holding and Zibo Hightech Industrial Investment’s venture financing deal with Polestar Performance for $550m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed cross border deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.