Total power industry M&A deals worth $3.76bn were announced in North America in February 2021, led by IFM Investors and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan’s $2.19bn asset transaction with Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 62.8% over the previous month of $2.31bn and a drop of 0.3% when compared with the last 12-month average of $3.77bn.
North America held a 61.94% share of the global power industry M&A deal value that totalled $6.07bn in February 2021. With a 48.76% share and deals worth $2.96bn, Canada was the top country in North America’s M&A deal value across power industry.
In terms of M&A deal activity, North America recorded 38 deals during February 2021, marking a decrease of 22.45% over the previous month and a rise of 11.76% over the 12-month average. The US recorded 29 deals during the month.
North America power industry M&A deals in February 2021: Top deals
The top five power industry M&A deals accounted for 99.4% of the overall value during February 2021.
The combined value of the top five power deals stood at $3.74bn, against the overall value of $3.76bn recorded for the month.
The top five power industry M&A deals of February 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) IFM Investors and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan’s $2.19bn asset transaction with Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
2) The $760m asset transaction with NRG Energy by ArcLight Capital Partners
3) Drax Group’s $651.25m acquisition of Pinnacle Renewable Energy
4) The $118.51m asset transaction with Wolverine Energy and Infrastructure by Blackheath Resources
5) ECOFINRENEWABLES INFRASTRUCTURE TRUST PLC’s asset transaction to acquire SEED ASSET for $24.5m.
Visit our ‘Power Deals Dashboard’ for the latest trends in M&A, PE, and VC activity, top deals and advisory league tables in the power industry.