View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
November 15, 2021

Mainstream receives approval for first phase of Vietnam wind project

The project will have the capacity to power more than 1.6 million homes once it is completed.

By Umesh Ellichipuram

Irish energy company Mainstream Renewable Power has secured key approval for the first 200MW of its 1.4GW Phu Cuong Soc Trang offshore wind project in Vietnam.

In a statement, the company said that it had received a Decision on Investment and an Investment Registration Certification (IRC) from the provincial government for the project’s first phase.

Mainstream said the receipt represents a ‘significant step’ towards financial close for the project, which is expected next year.

The Phu Cuong Soc Trang project is located off Vietnam’s southern coast.

Once fully operational, the offshore wind farm is expected to become the largest in South East Asia.

It will generate enough electricity to power more than 1.6 million homes while displacing 1.8 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions a year.

Mainstream owns a 70% stake in the wind farm, with the remaining 30% stake owned by Phu Cuong Group.

The project is expected to start delivering power in 2023 if it reaches financial close next year.

Mainstream Asia-Pacific general manager Cameron Smith said: “We are excited to be a part of Vietnam’s energy transition with the Phu Cuong Soc Trang project, which is being developed to the highest international standards, drawing on Mainstream’s extensive experience.

“Being leaders in renewable development in many countries, we understand the importance of community engagement, and we are pleased to have had such positive support from the Soc Trang community.

“The Phu Cuong Soc Trang project promises to be a catalyst for the development of a true offshore wind industry of a scale that will promote the achievement of net-zero by 2050.”

Earlier this year, Mainstream Renewable Power agreed to acquire an 80% stake in Vietnam-based company Technology and Development Joint Stock Company (D&T).

D&T is currently developing three solar power projects, with a total capacity of 405MW, in Vietnam’s Dak Nong province.

Related Companies

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU