View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
November 29, 2021

Masdar to develop 200MW solar photovoltaic plant in Armenia

Masdar will own an 85% stake in the project company, with the Armenian National Interests Fund holding the remaining 15%.

By Umesh Ellichipuram

United Arab Emirates-based renewable energy company Masdar has signed a government support agreement (GSA) to develop a 200MW solar photovoltaic (PV) plant in Armenia.

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

The Ayg-1 solar project will be the country’s largest utility-scale solar energy facility once completed.

The GSA was signed by the Armenian Territorial Administration and Infrastructure Minister Gnel Sanosyan and Masdar CEO Mohamed Jameel Al Ramahi.

Its signing comes almost four months after the Armenian government declared Masdar as the winning bidder for this project.

The Ayg-1 plant will occupy an area of around 500ha between the Talin and Dashtadem communities.

It will be developed on a design, finance, build, own and operate (DFBOO) basis.

Al Ramahi said: “This agreement marks a milestone on Armenia’s clean energy journey, and the development of this project will support the nation’s sustainable economic development.

“We look forward to working with the Armenian National Interests Fund on further opportunities in this field, and leveraging the experience we have gained as a global leader in renewable energy projects to support the diversification of Armenia’s energy mix.”

Masdar will own an 85% stake in the project company, with the remaining 15% held by the Armenian National Interests Fund (ANIF), an investment vehicle owned by the Armenian government.

The project is expected to create both direct and indirect jobs in the region.

Sanosyan said: “The gradual increase of renewable sources in our country’s energy system is one of the priorities set by the Government of Armenia.

“We regard this cooperation with Masdar as an important step towards this goal, as well as towards endorsing Armenia’s investment potential.

“The Ayg-1 industrial 200 MW solar plant project is a milestone on this road. We expect the signing of this document to mark the start of fruitful and lasting cooperation on this and for new upcoming projects.”

Last month, Masdar signed an agreement with the Iraqi government for developing solar PV power plants in Iraq.

Related Companies

Free Report
img

Delve into the renewable energy prospects for Morocco

In its new low greenhouse gas (GHG) emission strategy to 2050, submitted to the United Nations (UN), the Ministry of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development (MEM) of Morocco suggested to raise the share of renewable capacity in the country’s total power installed capacity mix to 80%.   Morocco currently aims to increase the share of renewables in total power capacity to 52% by 2030. The new strategy plans to increase the share of renewable capacity to 70% by 2040 and 80% by 2050.  GlobalData’s expert analysis delves into the current state and potential growth of the renewable energy market in Morocco. We cover: 
  • The 2020 target compared to what was achieved 
  • The 2030 target and current progress 
  • Energy strategy to 2050 
  • Green hydrogen 
  • Predictions for the way forward  
Download the full report to align your strategies for success and get ahead of the competition.   
by GlobalData
Enter your details here to receive your free Report.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Wednesday. The power industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Power Technology